Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Winter Flower Power

One sure way to break out of your winter studio blahs is to paint a floral. Even if it's completely imagined. I promise you it will brighten your day and your studio.

This is an abstracted oil study of an iris, which means "rainbow" and is also the considered to be a symbol of communication and messages. The other reason I enjoy irises is that you get to work with violets. While there are some nice tube violets, I like to explore and mix my own violets (ultra blue + perm rose is one of my favorites) to achieve a more a natural and interesting range from warm to cool.

For those of you who like to paint flowers in oil with an even more classic "Dutch style" you might want to check out Colorado artist Jane Jones.

On a personal blog note, one of my goals was 500 visitors before the end of the year and it looks like I'll make it! Thanks so much to everyone who stops by and happy holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment