|"Fading Fast" watercolor 12x16|
For my fellow watercolor enthusiasts, I painted this on a 140 lb. Cold Press Arches Block. It's my go standard for smaller watercolor paintings. My color palette for this was primarily transparent colors which I prefer: permanent rose, opera, some quin magenta, cobalt blue, thalo blue, ultramarine blue, lemon yellow, and aureolin yellow. I used a combination of wet in wet and dry transparent layers here, which is pretty typical of most of my watercolor painting.
My Top Ten Favorite Watercolor Books
While I own dozens of watercolor books, these are the books I find myself rereading for practical tips as well as inspiration. Best of all, many of these gems are quite affordable (under $10) used on Amazon.
- How to Make a Watercolor Paint Itself by Nita Engle
- Watercolor Painting Outside the Lines by Linda Kemp
- Interpreting the Figure in Watercolor by Don Andrews
- Making Watercolor Sing by Jean Dobie
- Pouring Light by Jean Grastorf
- Painting from the Inside Out by Betsey Dillard Stroud
- Transparent Watercolor by William Condit
- The Collected Best of Watercolor by Schlemm and Doherty
- William Mathews: Working the West
- Reflections of Nature: Paintings by Joseph Raffael (one of my all time favorite contemporary watercolor artists)