Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Blue Pumpkin Pie?

"Ghostly Gourd" 8x10 oil on panel--SOLD
Brr...The best thing about a snow day is that it’s the perfect excuse for hot chocolate and staying warm and dry in the studio. Today, I painted this blue-ish pumpkin for this week’s pumpkin themed DPW Painting Challenge.  I spotted this interesting “non orange” pumpkin "alternative" at our local Pearl Street Farmer’s Market just a couple of weeks ago.

I was particularly drawn to the contradictory sage green-blue color. My favorite pie is pumpkin chiffon so I kept thinking about the color of the insides and how cool it would be if it were blue inside as well. 

Speaking of snow and cold as a winter gift to myself, about a week ago, I signed up for Dreama Tolle Perry’s painting workshop in Florida in January 2012. I’ve admired Ms. Perry’s work for a long time and I’m really looking forward to it. January is often our chilliest month in Colorado so the warmer Florida Gulf will be a nice break. I’m also looking forward to meeting new artists in a different part of the country.

Anyway, if you seen Dreama’s work you know she loves an abundance of color. Her workshop supply list has a few more colors than I would normally use since I usually prefer a limited palette. So I’m trying some of the new colors well in advance.

This may seem a bit over zealous but a several years ago, I took a plein air workshop where I spent days trying to juggle a unfamiliar neon bright orange. In this pumpkin oil painting, I tried out Dreama's suggested Rembrandt Transparent Red Medium. Intense, but rendered very pleasant range of red violets, red oranges, and a really clean pink. Time for some more hot chocolate--Thanks for stopping by. Have a colorful and creative day!

4 comments:

  1. Scarlet,
    I just returned from a workshop with Karin Jurick a few weeks ago. She too uses a million colors on her palette and paints from photographs.. I use a limited palette and love to paint outside. So it was a challenge to try something new. I learned a lot and found it very stimulating to think outside my normal box. I think you'll have a wonderful time at Dreama's workshop.
    I love your use of color in this pumpkin. Really wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn,
    Thanks so much for your thoughtful and encouraging note. It's great to hear from another limited palette artist who understands the "comfort zone." I bet Karen's workshop was fantastic--Her paintings are gorgeous. I'm very excited about Dreama in a few months but a bit nervous too so thanks too for the encouragement! Happy painting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Scarlet, Just wanted to say I love your unusual pumpkin and the vibrant oranges behind it really light up my life! I love bright colors. I am signed up for Dreama's workshop in March of 2012 on Whidbey Island off the coast of Washington State. I bought all her paint suggestions too, but am waiting until the workshop to use them, as I love surprises! I am hoping to learn all about using transparent oils and if she put the paint down straight from the tube and leaves it alone,no fiddling. I love her trees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gloria,

    Thanks very much!It was that orange/blue combo that drew me to that booth. I wish I could join you in Washington too--it's an area I've always wanted to visit. It's sure to be an exciting and motivating workshop. I can't wait to see her paint in person. And I agree--her trees and flowers are gorgeous. Thanks again for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete