Sunday, January 29, 2012

Painting Little Treasures in Paradise

"Sunshine in a Jar" 8x8 oil on linen
Florida--I miss you!! Back home today in my studio after a truly wonderful week of painting, beach combing, key lime tarts, and dolphin watching (sounds terrible doesn't it??) in beautiful Marco Island Florida. Can't begin to express what a great time I had in Dreama Tolle Perry's "Petite Treasures" oil painting workshop at the Marco Island Art Center for the Arts-- An ideal painting location--bright, open, modern with palm trees swaying outside the window. I could paint there every week!
Marco Island Center for the Arts
Painting in an all day workshop (especially one you've traveled a ways to get to) is exhilarating but can it also be exhausting as some of you may know so a big added bonus was getting to chill out after class just blocks away (thanks Jimmy!) in a lovely high rise condo overlooking Crescent Beach on the Gulf of Mexico.   
Crescent Beach (Marco Florida) from the balcony
It was truly one of the best painting workshops I've ever attended. My sincere thanks to Dreama and all the fantastic group of talented, friendly, and generous painting ladies for making my trip so enjoyable and memorable. I miss all your warm and sunny Southern accents already! It was a pleasure meeting all of you. I wish you all a very happy and colorful year of painting!
Marco Island Shells from AM jog (OK stroll)
I've admired Dream'as gorgeous oil paintings for a long time so getting to meet her in person and watch her demo several beautiful paintings just a few feet away (which you can see on her blog this week) was amazing. She makes you feel immediately at ease and her advice really does make a difference. I also want to thank Dreama for encouraging us to try lots of new colors that I wouldn't normally use like Cad Orange,  Sap Green (yes I used green from a tube!), Diox Purple, and Caribbean Blue--All in today's painting and I love them!   
Marco Workshop Painters--Working hard but having fun!
This was also one of the few workshops I've ever left with paintings I was honestly happy with. My painting today (photo courtesy of Dreama) was painted on the third and last day after the "musical easel" exercise. I can see why so many artists return to her workshops. If you have a Dreama workshop in your future you will learn lots and have a blast! 

I returned with a ton of photos and notes to sift through and I'll be posting more about the workshop this week. Quick thanks too to my students for letting me take a week break from the studio. I missed you all and look forward to seeing you all back in the studio in the upcoming weeks. Finally, my favorite advice from Dreama: Paint what you love. Now that's a souvenir. Happy painting y'all.  

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely love "Sunshine in a Jar!" I'd be pretty happy with that painting, too. Good to know Dreama makes promises she keeps - lots of painting & lots of fun. Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience. I can't wait to meet her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Chris!Hope I know you'll have a great time in the workshop. Not only was it a highly enjoyable learning adventure but I returned (with my lizard!)energized and ready to tackle some new colors and subjects. What more can you ask? Happy Painting (and Musical Easels!) :)

    ReplyDelete