Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Colors Squashed

Because I love to paint nature and organic subjects, I try to keep my art in tune with the seasons. Hot of the easel, this is a quick oil painting color study of pumpkins and squashes which I painted in the studio yesterday. For better color harmony, I prefer a limited palette in oils. But this time I challenged myself with just 4 pigments + white.
  • One blue: French Ultra
  • Two yellows: Yellow Ochre, Indian Yellow
  • One red: Rose Madder
  • One White: Permalba (mix of Titanium + Zinc)
I always tell students, less is more when it comes to your palette. I think this oil study is a good example of how you can paint a colorful painting with very few colors. For more information about my oil painting classes please email me at ScarletOwl@hotmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment