Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Plein Air Fleurs

Happy Spring Forward everyone! I hadn't posted a watercolor painting (or a floral) in a while and I was really in the mood to post something bold, bright, and cheerful. This is a watercolor study I painted last summer plein air (fancy French art term for great outdoors) in one of the lovely Washington Park flower beds (Wash Park to us Denverites) nearby my home and studio.

The warmer weather (yay!) has got my art brain reeling. There are so many projects I want to tackle, including my annual self promise to get out and plein air--yes, I'm making it a verb. I think painting outdoors for us studio painters it's a "just do it" type of thing. I always enjoy it once I'm out there, but the thinking about it, the packing up, etc. is not nearly as enjoyable. For those of you interested in plein air, I saw they've just recently re-launched Plein Air Magazine just for outdoor painters--and it looks like a wonderful publication.

In the past I've used my very old Julian French easel since it's large enough to hold my paints, brushes, and a giant size box of tissues. (Ha--That's a plein air joke that some of you may enjoy.) Anyway I think this may be the year to retire "Julian" and look for another lighter and smaller pochade box option. So do feel free to email me if you have a pochade that you just love. My online investigation suggests that there is no one "perfect" plein air easel solution.

I want to also say what a busy, but great time I've had lately working with all my students on such a wide variety of exciting painting projects including skylines, dogs, fish, abstracts, mountain scenes, folded paper (sorry Amy!), canyons, lions, flowers, and that's just one week! As Clara Barton once said: Never Rust and I think that's a perfect art motto.

Later this week, I'm looking forward to attending an acrylic mixed media workshop and my other BHAG (big hairy audacious goal) this week is to get paintings done for the Randy Highbee Gallery 6x6 Show. On Thursday my goal is to post something GREEN of course, so I need to work on that too. In the meantime, I wish you all creative and colorful week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment