Monday, April 4, 2011

DAM Fine Spring Art Weekend

Iris in Bloom--Abstract Watercolor (private collection)
Happy April Monday Everyone! In Denver the first weekend of the month means First Friday Art Events and Free Museum Saturday which makes for a very busy but enjoyable art weekend with gallery hopping, art supply shopping, and museum perusing.


Also, for a few months now, I've been thinking about splurging on an out of town painting workshop so Saturday morning I decided to sign up for Carol Marine's "A Painting a Day" oil painting Workshop at the Sedona Arts Center in May 2012 while I still had the chance. As many of you may know Ms. Marine's a popular teacher whose workshops sell out months in advance. The workshop may be 13 months away but I'm already looking forward to returning to beautiful Sedona area. 

Saturday afternoon headed downtown to one my favorite galleries near the Denver Art Museum (DAM) 1261 Gallery where they were having a fantastic winter landscape show featuring some of my favorite painters such as Quang Ho and Dan McCaw.

At the DAM I spent the most time in the Western Art Collection. Since I love Southwestern painting, it's a joy to see the stars of New Mexican painting such as Dixon, Fechin (his color and brushwork always breathtaking), Blumenschein and the Lanford Monroe with the misty horses. There are also some stunning contemporary western landscapes on display including Post, Forsman, Aspevig, Brown, and Moore. Check out the shapes and color in this gorgeous Howard Post painting. 
Howard Post Painting at the Denver Art Museum
On a side note, as I mature as a painter when I look at museum paintings I can't help but do the math of artist birth date versus when they completed the painting. Sometimes I'm relieved to see they were well advanced in their age and career. Other times I note they were younger than I am now which makes me want to really focus and produce. Either way, very motivating to visit your local museum!

Finally quick welcome to my new April students--I think it's going to be an exciting spring--See you soon in the studio!

No comments:

Post a Comment