Saturday, December 21, 2013

Passport to Winter

"Bear Creek Tree Study" oil on canvas 8x8

Click to Bid on DPW--Thanks!
I prefer winter and fall, when you feel the bone structure of the landscape. 
Something waits beneath it; the whole story doesn't show.

Andrew Wyeth

Happy Holidays and Winter Solstice Everyone!  Whew it’s been an exciting and hectic December which included completing and delivering a large commission (yay), a consulting project (yay again), and unfortunately a few days of being under the weather with a cold weather bug (which sounds a lot cuter than having it.)

This week though the sun returned (Wed. it was almost 70 degrees!) and that helped me quick recover and get back to teaching and painting—my two favorite things.

I also took some time out of holiday shopping to meet up with some fellow artists to see the beautiful “Passport to Paris” show at the Denver Art Museum which included 125 paintings from dozens of French masters painters.

The evolution of subject matter and style from pre French Revolution to the turn of the 20th Century was fascinating.  I particularly enjoyed the colors in these two works by Tissot and Sisley.
"The Fan" by James Tissot  1875

"The Pike" by Alfred Sisley 188
The show (as well as the Winter Solstice today) inspired me to paint a small snowscape study. After working on four 40x30 paintings I was really looking forward to painting a more manageable quick daily painting like my posting today. Looking for more winter art ideas and inspiration? Visit my Pinterest Winter's Wonderland board. Thanks and have a colorful first week of winter everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment