Friday, August 7, 2015

Daily Painting by the Book


Exercise from Oil Painting: The Workshop Experience 6x8 oil on panel
 A book is a garden, an orchard, a storehouse, a party, a company by the way, a counselor, a multitude of counselors. (Charles Baudelaire)

Happy August Friday everyone!  Busy working on some small commissions and getting ready to teach my “almost” daily painting (DP) class which starts next Wednesday. I’ve been looking forward to this class all year!

I’m also teaching another DP class in September which I’m pleased (and flattered) to report say “sold out” quickly. So thank very much artists (returning and new) for your loyalty and interest in my new classes!
Come paint the colors of fall with me in November!
New: Fall Weekend Denver Painting Workshops
Speaking of classes, I’ve just added two new fun November weekend painting workshops at the Curtis Art Center: Artfully Autumn/Fall Colors and Mixed Media Masterpieces. You can find more info about these painting workshops here.
Painting Exercise/Study of Goerschner landscape 6x8 oil on panel
Summer Art Reading
I read new art books all the time in the summer but I also like to revisit favorites like this week’s Oil Painting: The Workshop Experience by the late Ted Goerschner. (Usually on Amazon used for just a few dollars.)
I love art technique books with painting exercises you can practice as you read along. (How to See Color and Paint It is another good one.) These "step by step" paintings can be great warm ups or just an easy way to try a different approach. 

Today I’m sharing the 2 small landscapes I painted “along with” Ted in his book which also includes clean color and design tips as well as some valuable "before and after" critiques of student landscape paintings. And of course, Ted's high chroma light and shadow paintings are enjoyable on their own.

OK, gorgeous day for a sunny patio happy hour here in Denver but I still have some work in the studio before I can call it a day. Cheers! Enjoy your summer weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment