Monday, August 17, 2015

Explore. Dream. Discover. Paint….

"Blue Nutty" 6x6 oil on linen panel SOLD Thank you!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. 
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. 
Explore. Dream. Discover.’  
Mark Twain

Happy Monday everyone!  I think one of the best things about "almost" daily painting is the “Why not? Let’s give it try!” approach you can have each day in the studio.

Lately, I’ve been gravitating toward some bold graphic looking art and thought painting on a black background (black toned canvas in this case) would be perfect for this. Also, since I often favor such bright intense colors (as you may have noticed!) the black acts as a striking dark neutral balance.

Want to see more examples? Daily painters who do a marvelous job at this are Karin Jurick and Cathleen Rehfied. Carol, a student in my class last week, also painted an exciting abstract on a black canvas.

In today’s little nuthatch (one of my favorite backyard bird models) oil painting I’ve used a 6x6 Raymar linen panel primed with black acrylic gesso then sketched with white pencil (note white chalk would work as well.) I loved the effect and will definitely add this to my daily "bag of tricks" and try again soon. In the meantime, I hope you enjoy your own creative exploring, dreaming and discovering…

Denver Fall Painting Classes & Workshops
Since my Thursday AM class “sold out” so quickly (thanks again painters!) I’m planning to announce another weekly painting class soon. Probably on Tuesday afternoons so please stayed tuned for that.

Also I’ve added 2 weekend painting workshops for this November. For more info about these please go to my Denver art classes info page on my website. Or feel free to write to me directly. Thanks and happy painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment