Sunday, November 29, 2009

Picket Fence Pour

Happy Weekend Everyone! Today, I'm hoping to have some time to work on my Colorado Watercolor Society entry in the studio which is due in just a few weeks. For some inspiration, I thought I post one of my first poured watercolor paintings. (While I was happy with the blending some of my edges are just too sharp, so I'll watch that next time.)

This is a watercolor technique were you mask out areas of your painting (with masking fluid, tape, shelf paper, etc.) and then pouring transparent layers of colors over the paper. In this case, I started with yellow, then red, then blue--working from lightest to darkest values. It can get a bit messy (I like to pour outside) but it's worth it and it's quite addictive.

Artist Jean Grastorf, who has mastered this technique, has a short YouTube demo of watercolor pouring.

No comments:

Post a Comment