Sunday, February 21, 2010

Mardi Gras Masks


Happy Weekend Everyone! I was so busy last week with my out of town travel, I didn't have a chance to post this watercolor painting of masks in honor of Mardi Gras.  As some of you may know, these are actually a collection of Venetian Carnival masks but I added some Mardi Gras beads for extra color and sparkle. Trying to work with the Mardi Gras color triad of gold, green, and violet was also an enjoyable exercise.  On the white mask I added some additional paint "bling" with a touch of metallic gold gouache. 

Since I usually struggle a bit with painting facial structures, especially in watercolor, I thought it was a great exercise.  I also thought the black and white striped satin would also be a challenging and interesting background with all the sharp value changes and reflections. Maybe I've got a bit too much going on here, in retrospect, but Mardi Gras (though I've never been) seems to be a colorful and exuberant celebration. So given that, maybe it's appropriate. Now I just need a sugary beignet to go with my coffee.....    

I'm looking forward this week to having more painting and teaching time. As always, welcome to my new students and have a great week! Et toujours, l'aissez les bontemps roulez!

No comments:

Post a Comment