Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Rhapsody in Blue

Today's Painting
A few weeks ago at the grocery store this iris and daffodil bouquet caught my eye. As I've mentioned before my studio cat, Dash, can merrily shred an enormous bouquet in under a minute so I tend not to buy many fresh flowers. But it had been so oddly rainy and cloudy here, that I just had to have some spring color in the studio. The vibrant violet blue/golden yellow color palette, which always reminds me of Provence, is one of my favorite floral color schemes.  
Floral Painting Books

If you like painting more organic and natural floral paintings as I usually do, I recommend checking out iconic painter  Charles Reid. . A well know workshop instructor and prolific author Mr. Reid has published several books (most only a few dollars used) on flower painting including: Painting Flowers in Watercolor and Flower Painting in Oil. I particularly enjoy his initial contour drawing approach to the subject matter. 
Get Ready to Sharpen Your Pencils!
Speaking of drawing, I saw that this Saturday, June 4, is Drawing Day 2011. If you go to the site, you'll find lots of interesting ways to share your drawing with the world online. Finally, quick welcome to all my new May and June students. I love painting in the summer with so warm light and colorful subject matter at hand and hope you will too!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for your compliment--
    Flowers are one of my favorite subjects!

    ReplyDelete