Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Tangerine Dreams 48x48 Oil on Gallery Canvas
Each year, as some of you may know, the color industry leaders over at Pantone select a color that they think is making it's move in fashion, design, art, etc.  This large square oil abstract was inspired by the "2012 Pantone Color of the Year"--Tangerine Tango. Over at Daily Paintworks they are celebrating Tangerine Tango with this week's painting challenge!  FYI, for this painting, I mixed an approximation of the Tangerine Tango using Cadmium Red Light and Cadmium Yellow Light.

I was thrilled to see this "sophisticated but at the same time dramatic and seductive" hue selected because I often include red orange in my paintings. Personally (and what's more personal in art than color?) I was less enamored the 2011 color of the year--Honeysuckle. Kind of a cool midtone pink. 

I just finished up packing up all my art supplies in preparation for my Marco Island (yes it's a bit warmer there) painting workshop with Dreama Tolle Perry. I've been looking forward to this workshop for ages. I look forward to telling you all about it when I return.

For those of you thinking about workshop travel this year, I decided to mail myself in advance an insured large "flat rate" no weight limit box (less than $20) that I crammed full of supplies such as expensive paint, walnut oil, painting knives, linen panels, etc. to avoid any airport hassle--plus if you've packed up art supplies you know they how heavy they can be.
 
Finally, I want to give a warm winter welcome and high fives to all my many new 2012 students. Thanks so much for starting out your art year with me in the studio. It's been a pleasure meeting all of you. If you are interested in painting classes in February/March I have a few spots left (not many) but feel free to email me for more info.

No comments:

Post a Comment