Thursday, September 4, 2014

Challenge Day 4: The Color of the My World

"Lovely Landmark" 8x10 oil on linen (private collection)
Green is the prime color of the world, and that from which its loveliness arises.” — Pedro Calderon de la Barca

Yes, painting greens can be perplexing at times but fortunately green is my favorite color. I've read that liking green means you enjoy nature (which makes sense), and that you tend to be sensible, practical, balanced, and love your freedom. So go GREEN! (If you love green too you may enjoy my Glorious Green Art Pinterest Board.)

My goal for Day 4 was to include a wide range of greens into this little study of one of our neighborhood landmarks--Denver's Washington Park Boathouse.

Recently, the 100 year old pavilion underwent a refurbishing. Unfortunately, they "updated" the bright white exterior to a kind of creamy beige. Now the water reflections and reflected light are not quite as clean and attractive (in my opinion).  So I took artistic license and kept the building the “original” white that I've always loved.

Green color mixing tip: For more natural greens I prefer to mix them "from scratch" with blue and yellow and then add a touch of red or orange. Also try black and yellow for an interesting earthy green.

Finally, quick welcome to all my new fall painting students. This is the perfect "back to school" time to take up a creative pursuit. I look forward to painting with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment