Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Painting in Style for the New Year

For January Wednesdays, I thought I'd focus on some "studio must haves." While I don't typically paint in a couture gown (though that would be interesting), I do like to paint in decent clothes when I paint in oils so I can run out to the art store, etc. without stopping to change. 

Because of that, I'm rather obsessed with artist aprons. Since sewing has been my nemesis since high school (my only non A grade--seriously) I asked my Mom to create a new artist apron which you can see here modeled by the lovely "Esmeralda" my beloved vintage dress form mannequin. Note the fun and useful pockets in front. And the colorful pattern is perfect for hiding those occasional paint spots.    


My other favorite art apron is my Caroline Lefrance (she's a European designer) Chocolate Apron that I bought in France a few years ago.  I love the heavy fabric and the giant front "kangaroo" like pouch.

In January, I also like to get my studio well organized for the year and today this included "inventory" of my oil colors which includes my annual purging of those tubes that have well seen better days. (You know the ones.)  It's also a good time to make a list of what colors you are running low on (or would like to try) for your next art store trip. As frugal as I tend to be with art supplies, once in a while, you just have to treat yourself to some fresh new juicy oil paint! Mmm...

Back to painting--In the meantime, "owl" be seeing you in the studio--have a great day!  

No comments:

Post a Comment